[ExI] The mosque at Ground Zero

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 13:43:20 UTC 2010

No, but eating an egg is different from dealing with all the members of a
religion or all the people living in a large region, don't you think? Perhaps a
better metaphor would be eating one egg, finding it bad and presuming all eggs
now and forever are bad. (Side note: a chef once told me that, if you don't like
a particular dish, you should never say you don't the certain food item -- eggs,
aubergine, whatever -- that went into it, but that you don't like it prepared
that way. Even so, I still find it hard to imagine certain foods would ever
taste good no matter how they're prepared.:)

And, unlike Sabrina, I've met and worked with many Muslims. Few of the ones I've
met fit the scriptural or doctrinal determinist model. (Scriptural determinism
is the view that one can know all about a member of a religion merely by looking
at the scriptures of that religion. Doctrinal determinism is the same view
applied to doctrines. Typically, such determinisms fail because religious people
don't slavishly follow the scriptures (or a specific interpretation thereof) or
doctrines of their respective religions. In fact, many other factors seem to
impinge -- leaving out free will -- as much as or more than religious scripture
or doctrine for most believers of any religion. This is exactly the sort of
thing "fundamentalists" of any religion usually complain about too: most members
of their religion are weak and water down the beliefs.*)

Regards,

Dan

* Add to this, most members of any religion having more than a few hundred
members tend to be born into the religion -- their parents raise them up in it
or it's part of their cultural wallpaper. These people are unlikely to be the
scriptural literalists or doctrinal purists that make headlines.