[ExI] Meanwhile in China...

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 15:08:07 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

What we need is a specific and definable victory condition. Something we can
achieve and say that we won the war. Otherwise we face the possibility of simply
running out of money and pulling out like the Soviet Union did just before it
collapsed and broke up. I hate to say it but China is doing to us what we did to
the Soviets. That is not interrupting an enemy who is making a mistake, to
paraphrase Napoleon.

> It frightens me to think that a nation with little or no respect for
> civil liberties (even of their own people), is going to probably be
> the greatest economic and military power on the planet within several
> decades!  I realize some experts say the upcoming generation of savvy
> young Chinese college professionals are going to change everything,
> but I suspect pursuing money and status will be their burning goal,
> and not Western-style basic human rights.

The Chinese government is generally good about recruiting well-educated young
professionals for party membership and cushy appointments in the beauracracy.
China has a long history as a meritocracy. If the best and the brightest are
well taken care of, little will change. If the attrition of the middle class and
unemployment amongst well-educated professionals continues in this country,
there might be a revolution here before there is one in China. Student loan
default rates are higher than they have ever been in the U.S., that should be a
huge red flag, but the news barely reports it.

> The U.S. will burn itself out if we think we can single-handedly stand
> up to the growing might of China (some experts say by 2050 their
> military budget will be larger than ours).  We must have allies to do
> it, as we did during the cold war years with the NATO Alliance.  The
> U.S. could fence in China's ambitions, at least up to a point, by
> having a strong bond with Japan, Korea, Vietnam, India, Europe and
> even Russia (Russia controls extremely mineral rich areas north of
> China, that used to belong to China, and China wants them back even if
> war comes of it, but Taiwan will be dealt with first, Russia's best
> military forces face China and not Europe!, always keep that in
> mind...).  This would discourage China from a Tibet-style invasion &
> occupation, but this time on a much bigger and more powerful neighbor
> (such as Korea, Vietnam or even Japan).

Agreed. But keep in mind that experts said that the Chinese auto industry
wouldn't surpass ours for another couple of decades. But it already did, this
year. I expect the Chinese military to be ahead of schedule.

> But with China owning so much U.S. debt, and being so connected at the
> hip with us, in regards to trade, I wonder to what extent it is
> probable that the two nations will really get into a shooting war.  It
> would greatly harm both our economies, and my impression is that China
> has a "victory without a single shot ever fired" economic world
> domination strategy in dealing with the United States.  They have a
> vastly more sophisticated playbook than the old Soviet Union ever
> had...

Indeed. I too think that China will mostly flex economic muscle, until the
surplus of men gets too high there.

> China will have a major challenge when the rising generation of young
> men don't have enough young women to be their brides (due to Chinese
> parents wanting male offspring and the highly enforced one child only
> laws, that only recently has been softened somewhat).  And this could
> be a major cause of social discontent, if not properly dealt with.  I
> suppose foreign girls from the Philippines and elsewhere may be
> brought in.  Black market smuggling of young women into China will
> also probably be a very big industry.

Perhaps. Also, historically, populations with surplus men have been more
belligerent. Consider arabs from Islamic theocracies, for example. Because of
the three wives law, the wealthy men get three wives and the poor men get
none. The promise of virgins in paradise in exchange for martyrdom feeds
directly off of their sexual frustration.

> Through the lens of transhumanism, I especially worry.  I don't want
> to see AGI and advanced nanotech subverted by China and used to
> control the Earth and beyond.  As much as I cringe at some of the
> things the United States has done, a China that masters such
> convergence technologies ahead of any other nation, would potentially
> be a terrifying force for tyranny at a level never before seen.

Well if Keith is right and the combination of AGI and nanotech is going to cause
the extinction of the human race, maybe we are better off having it start in
China. It would give the west time to prepare. Maybe I am a bit humanocentric
but most of my loved ones are human.

> We Americans think the good times can go on forever and the bills will
> never come due.  The Chinese will be waiting...

Well said, John, as was your whole post. Thanks for understanding.

Stuart LaForge

"Old men read the lesson in the setting sun.
Beat the cymbal and sing in this life, or wail away the hours fearing death.
Their choice is their fortune." - I Ching