[ExI] Religions and violence

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 13:23:45 UTC 2010

I disagree. The tenets of any religion are open to interpretation, and both
various Christian and various Buddhists (again, see
http://www.amazon.com/Zen-at-War-Daizen-Victoria/dp/0834804050 -- the title is
_Zen at War_) have interpreted their religious doctrine to justify war. (You
completely left out Judaism and the fact that Christians generally accept the
Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) as canonical. The Hebrew scriptures definitely
provide rationales for wars and even for genocides -- as well as supposedly
documenting both wars and genocides carried out in the name of that religion.) I
bet the truth is any long lived and widespread religion is going to be open to
justifying war -- because, it seems to me, human societies have always made war
and any society that was bound by an absolutely pacifist religion would likely
be wiped out by others not so bound.

Regards,

Dan