[ExI] Religions and violence

Max More max at maxmore.com
Thu Aug 12 15:15:32 UTC 2010

Dan:
>(You
>completely left out Judaism and the fact that Christians generally accept the
>Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) as canonical.

As I understand it, Jesus brought a new dispensation, rendering the
moral imperatives in the barbaric Old Testament obsolete. The
"factual" history may still be accepted as Canonical, at least by
fundamentalists (who are the minority and not "Christians
generally"), but even fundies need not accept the O.T. moral commands
without question. They (and to a lesser degree less literal
Christians) continue to accept those of the O.T. moral commands
(especially the Ten Commandments) when they find them suitable or convenient.

When a fundamentalist Christian says that "God hates homos", they are
ignoring their own doctrine of Christ's new dispensation. They
typically also ignore the equally real injunctions to kill those
homos (thank the Lord!). They manage to be inconsistent in their inconsistency.

Max