[ExI] Music fails to chime with Islamic values

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 16:58:41 UTC 2010

On 4 August 2010 06:46, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found this somewhat surprising because normally music is used as a
> key means to indoctrinate believers (whatever the religion).

Monotheists (with the possible exception of Luther) always had a
problem with music, even though they regularly made efforts to
"domesticate" it and put it at the service of the Highest Good.

But I believe that The Guardian reads too much in the alleged
statement of Kamenei. In fact, he expressly proclaims music "halal"
(kosher, legal, orthodox) and limits himself to the usual conservative
mumble that the youth should not invest too much time in it. The
popes's distrust for what used to be called "one of the most dangerous
of Satan's seduction" has probably much been much harsher in average.

Let me add from personal experience that in Iran music is equally or
more ubiquitous than in Europe, and that nobody seems especially
scandalised by that.

--
Stefano Vaj