[ExI] Religions and violence.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 13:10:15 UTC 2010

On 9 August 2010 22:34, Sabrina Ballard <sabrina.ballard at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/9/10, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> So the more weakly someone believes in this retarded toxic waste the better
>> off they are. I agree with that.
>
> What is it that makes religion "retarded toxic waste"? What about
> Shinto or Buddhism?

Or Zen, or the religions of Homer and the Edda, or Hinduism, or Confucianism?

In western countries, especially the US, I think that we are used to
interpret the "religion" concept altogether in exclusively
monotheistic terms. Even caricatural version such as Scientology have
Holy Scriptures, Good vs. Evil, paradise and hell, etc.

OTOH, this is a very reductionist view and most "religions" in history
and geography have little to do with obscurantism, metaphysics,
crusades, intolerance, sin, dualism, and all the traits one reconnects
with traditional forms of christianism, hebraism and Islam.

--
Stefano Vaj