[ExI] Religions and silliness

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 05:29:44 UTC 2010

2010/8/16 darren shawn greer <dgreer_68 at hotmail.com>:
> I don't think I said this. I don't even think Clinton said this. Yet there
> seems to be a pervading posthuman/transhuman ideal for improving the lives
> of humans through technology. Or is there only an ideal that can improve it
> for those who can afford it? Read Donna Harroway or Rosi Bridotti's essay on
> Theory, Culture and
> Society. http://tcs.sagepub.com/content/23/7-8/197.full.pdf+html.  They
> don't refer explicitly to the free market, but they do discuss indviduation
> in a posthuman context.  If the renaissance-inspired ideas of human ontology
> are being questioned by posthuman thinkers, then so is the idea of the
> individual. And so by extension is the free-market economy.

Might it be economics with a long view?  Dirt-poor people have no
money to spend.  If we uplift them to the point they have surplus
capital then they'll want to buy consumer goods like iPads and
Lexus-es (Lexii?).  The more people on the consumerism treadmill the
more wealth can be created when they mortgage their futures to get
increasingly expensive stuff...  And those magnanimous few who make
the humanitarian choice today collect the benefit of being atop a
pyramid with a now-larger base.

Maybe that's what you just said though?