[ExI] The mosque at Ground Zero.

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 13:10:53 UTC 2010

> Not really. It's a judgement, but one of a different type. If you ask
> me what color chairs are, and I say that chairs don't have an intrinsic
> color, I'm not "actually" saying that they have a color and that color
> is colorlessness.

I agree with you. Just trying to point out that it does get tricky. I've been reading a lot of posthumaist critical theory--Harroway, Bridotti, Nickols -- and questions of whether things are subjective or objective is an argument that they don't seem to wish to have. I have been less influenced by them than believing it myself for a number of years and having their assertions fit with mine. I even read the Unibomber Manifesto, which is, in my opinion, a posthumnist document, despite its paranoid denigration of technological-industrial society.

After 9/11, the editor of Vanity Fair magazine pronounced it the "end of the age of irony." I remember thinking what a silly thing that was to say. What he was referring to too, I think, was F. Scott's Fitzgerald's assertion that modernism was the " age of the holy ghost of irony." But as Donna Harroway says (about pop science writers and not Vanity Fair editors, I'll grant you), He got it wrong. But he was on the right subject.

9/11 may have been the final nail in the coffin not of modernism but of post-modernism, which deconstructed grand narrative and the idea of universal belief, as a reaction to such atrocities as the holocaust and Stalinism, which relied on sweeping world narrative to suck people in (and as Fred Moulton pointed out last week, the Muslim Brotherhood is still doing vis-a-vis Islam and the West.) It is my opinion that 9/11 illustrated the dangers of the apathy that results from relativism and rampant individualism. 9/11, in addition to being a failure of security, was also a failure of community. My father once played me the song The Night Chicago Died. I was a kid and he explained to me the events that inspired the song. I ask him--I was only eleven or twelve at the time-- how a few men with guns could over-power a large crowd. "Couldn't they just jump them?" I asked.

"They were too worried about getting killed themselves," he told me.

This stuck with me. I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Perhaps just that if the traditional ontology or chain of being (the idea of God, arch-angels, angels, spirits, kings, nobels, gentry,) has been abolished, the one next in line is the actual idea of human. Instead of social order we sink back into a kind of natural disorder while maintaining intellectual rigor and arming ourselves with the knowledge of the power and influence of evolutionary psychology on human behavior and accepting technology as an evolutionary and inevitable outgrowth of the development of the species. This also makes room for the much-contested idea of a singularity, though I recently read a few writers who believe we will never get there, as it is a "horizon" event. We will either pass through a number of critical times that appear to be singularities, or that we will never notice the true singularity as it will require an objective view of human development as a whole, which is not possible when you're caught in the  swift current of that development.

Of course, post humanist critical thinkers also reject scientism and the scientific method as inadequate tools of the enlightenment. About that I am not so keen. The argument seems to be that since neither disorder nor order are fundamental properties of the universe, only perspectives, then logic is only a property of human subjectivity and it too is extremely limited. Any model that attempts to use logic to know the universe will be flawed, because it is subjective. They suggest no alternative, other than to accept this dubious assertion.

It seems that for many of them situational objectivity is enough, and in fact no more is possible or ever will be possible, given the limitations of the observer.

I'm not saying I believe this.

But it is fun to think about.

> It's a pretty interesting question. A related one is, "why do we fight
> so hard to prove other people on the internet wrong"?

I had exactly the same thought while writing my last response to you. Perhaps because the ideological wars are now being fought on the Internet as well as in the "real" world. They are much more fun here, because we have access to more information and we can talk back. It's not very effective, or much fun, to argue with your TV. You can get high blood pressure.

Darren

'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.

-Alfred Lord Tennyson