[ExI] Religions and violence

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 16:02:30 UTC 2010

"Fred C. Moulton" <moulton at moulton.com> wrote:

"I will say this very clearly.  There has been no evidence presented that
shows that the people who want to build the center were involved with
attack of Sept 11; therefore building the center is NOT PROVOCATIVE."

So your definition of 'provocative' has nothing to do with actual provocation, but instead with the history of the people concerned?

The Neo-Nazis in my example are not in fact being provocative?

You don't think proposing to erect a plaque extolling the virtues of gun ownership at Columbine High School would be provocative and objectionable?  Of course, it would be a plaque that emphasised /responsible/ gun ownership, and the proposers wouldn't be related to the murderers, so that would be ok?

(Actually, a better example would be not a plaque, but a gun club, in a new building on or very near to the spot where the killings took place)

I wasn't aware that the guy behind the Cultural Centre plan was a Sufi, thanks to Damien for pointing that out.  I do think that he either hasn't thought things through, or just doesn't care, though.  If someone wanted to build something to try to build bridges between the different cultures here, to foster understanding and tolerance, why on earth would they specifically call it an ISLAMIC cultural centre? Why would they place it on the spot that a piece of wreckage from the attack fell?  Why would the inauguration date be on the 10-year anniversary of the attack? (that last is unverified, so may be wrong).

You'd think that anyone behind a proposal like this would realise that it was doing more harm than good to the public perception of Islam, and suggest relocating it, and maybe making it a multi-faith centre instead of exclusively Islamic?  You know, in the spirit of reaching out to non-muslims, and teaching people that Islam isn't just about terrorism.
Just a thought.

Anyway, it doesn't matter whether or not the people who want to build this Islamic Cultural Centre were or were not involved with the 11 Sept. attack.  The proposal is still provoking a reaction.

Actions or words that, regardless of their intent (and of the history of the people producing them), produce anger and consternation, are by definition, provocative.

Ben Zaiboc