[ExI] ‘Survival of fittest’ is disputed

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 17:52:12 UTC 2010

Isn't "living space" an item in a subset of survival needs like food and
water?  I fail to see how the ability to take advantage of living space is
any different than an ability which facilitates gathering or reproduction.

Natural selection = species who thrive best in the environment reproduce and
multiply

living space = the environment

Natural selection = Species who are best able to take advantage of "living
space" reproduce and multiply

Competition between species is a smaller part of the big picture.  Those
interspecies battles are in fact part of "living space"--European history
keeps wanting me to say "Lebensraum"--which equates to the summed selection
pressures of the environment.