[ExI] reverse aging

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 03:38:16 UTC 2010

On 1 December 2010 12:13, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 7:22 PM, John Grigg wrote:
>
>> Stuart, and so was this simply a first step toward rejuvenating
>> normally aged mice?
>
> I don't see any obvious reason why this should follow. As I commented on a
> biogerontology list when a few people were getting prematurely excited (IMO)
> by this report:
>
> On the face of it, this sounds like an incredibly silly "discovery". Build a
> car without wheels. You can't drive it anywhere. Put the wheels on. Look! A
> miracle! Now you can drive it! Ship a crew of old sea dogs from England to
> Australia without any vitamin C in their diet. They get scurvy and start to
> die. Feed them some citrus and they all recover. A miracle! Lemons will make
> you young again!

I thought the interesting thing here was that a big complex organism
would essentially repair itself just by switching on telomerase, where
the shortened telomeres were the problem. Is there previous research
actually showing this happen (as opposed to in-vitro experiments, or
extrapolations from theory)?

--
Emlyn

http://my.syyn.cc - A service for syncing buzz and facebook, posts,