[ExI] reverse aging

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 09:43:47 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

Not really although the study is not entirely without merit with regard to
rejuvenation. There are problems with this approach. First of all, these mice
were genetically engineered from before birth to not make any telomerase unless
they were given hydroxytestosterone. So their telomerase gene was able to be
switched on or off like a chemical switch. Therefore what you are really
asking is whether reversing abnormal aging in engineered mice has any relevance
to reversing normal aging in normal mice. The answer is some but not much. Let
me explain.

Telomeres are the DNA at the tips of linear chromosomes. They exist specifically
as a buffer of "extra" DNA because each time a linear chromosome replicates, it
gets a little shorter. This is because the enzyme that copies DNA, called DNA
polymerase, can only move in one direction and can only copy the DNA in front of
it and not behind it. This is called "the end replication problem" and it
suffered by all organisms except for bacteria whose circular chromosomes make
them immune because circles do not have ends.

Now for some time a leading theory of aging has been that the gradual
accumulation of DNA damage causes aging much like gradual accumulation of errors
on your hard drive might lead to your operating system files becoming
corrupt. There are several types of DNA damage that can happen and the body has
evolved a series of defenses against said damage. One of the worst types of DNA
damage are double-stranded breaks in the DNA. They are exceptionally bad because
normally repair enzymes use the undamaged strand to act as a template for repair
of the damaged strand such that each strand acts as a backup copy of the other.

When both strands are broken however, which can happen when you are exposed to
x-rays and other ionizing radiation for example, the repair enzymes mate the
broken ends together the best they can with random nucleotides. If the double
stranded break happens inside of a coded gene, that gene is now either useless
gibberish or a dangerous mutation. Because of this the cell responds to double
stranded breaks in its DNA by shutting off the cells ability to replicate
itself.

So what does all this have to do with telomeres and aging? Well if you are
particularly astute, you may ask how the cell can distinguish between the ends
of its own chromosomes and double-stranded breaks in its DNA? The answer is that
telomeres, by virtue of their DNA sequence, bind special protein complexes that
enable them to fold over themselves such that they bury their exposed ends
inside a structure called the telomeric loop in a process called capping. Now
because the telomeric loop is a literal loop of DNA, the structure cannot form
unless the telomeres are long enough to have enough slack to allow the structure
to form. This means that if the telomeres are too short then the telomeric loop
cannot form and the cell is *unable* to distinguish between the ends of its own
chromosomes and a double-stranded break in its DNA. So it reponds to both the
same way by shutting down the cell's ability to replicate itself. This is called
cellular senescence.

Cellular senescence is thought to contribute to aging by preventing the body
from replacing cells when they die or wear out. But when a damaged cell manages
to bypass cellular sensecence and tries to replicate itself despite being
damaged, the cell will activate another program to try and commit cellular
suicide called apoptosis. If apoptosis doesn't work, the cell is now a full
blown turmor. So the cold hard truth about aging is that we are stuck between a
rock and a hard place. In a certain sense, we get old in order to prevent cancer
and if we get cancer, we don't survive long enough to get old.

So where is the silver lining to the Nature study? It is that it fully supports
the theory that DNA damage leads to aging and that repairing that damage does
not just halt the aging process but actually reverses it. The caveat is that you
can't just repair the telomeres, you have to repair *all* of it, otherwise you
get an immortal horde of rogue replicating cells known as cancer.

> And do you think within 10-15 years we could be
> at the point where humans are being restored, despite the major
> differences between humans and mice?

Not with the way the system is currently set up. If someone figured out how to
reverse the aging process while dodging cancer today, it would take at least
that long just to get FDA approval.