[ExI] WikiLeaks: What is the moral transhumanist expert consensus?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 20:32:30 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Brent Allsop  wrote:
> First off, this is not seeking an answer or any kind of truth to a moral
> question, as it seems to me you are implying.  It instead is simply a
> survey, to rigorously measure what everyone thinks on this issue, and how
> different groups like transhumanists, the general population, moral experts,
> and so on compare.
>
> Also, of course, with a traditional survey, your point is valid.  But
> canonizer.com is completely different.
>
> There isn't a camp like you describe above yet, but you could create a camp
> that concisely states just what you've said here, and join that one.  The
> goal would be a definitive, concise moral expert consensus on just what is
> good and what is bad, along with a rigorous measure of how many moral
> experts feel precisely that way, compared to all other concisely stated
> moral theories.  I currently happen to disagree and am in the camp that
> believes in general everyone should know everything (
> http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/119/2 ).

Those were just a few examples that immediately occurred to me.
It would have to be a 'Maybe' camp, with each example being judged on
a case by case basis. And even then some examples might come out as
mostly good, but with some bad side-effects and vice-versa.  So I
don't see it as a very useful camp to be in.  :)

BillK