[ExI] reverse aging

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 04:49:13 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

When I first read this, I thought it was very naive. So I looked up a detailed
description of his strategy here:

http://www.sens.org/files/pdf/WILT.pdf

My objections to it follow:

1. First what he was suggesting was similar to purposefully giving people the
equivalent of dyskeratosis congenita, a genetic birth defect where people are
born without normal telomerase function. The problem is that these people are
actually *more* prone to cancer and start getting them around ten years old. You

can find a complete medical description of dyskeratosis here on pubmed for free:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20301779

2. The second reason is that once a cell violates its genetic programming and
goes cancerous, all the rules go out the window. If telomerase is available, it
will use it to lengthen its telomeres. If telomerase is not available it will
start using alternative

methods to lengthen its telomeres like using the homologous recombination
machinery

normally reserved for DNA repair and meiosis of germline cells.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649016/?tool=pubmed

And if that doesn't work, cancer cells have no qualms against just sticking
chromosomes together end to end with non-homologous end joining. Cancer cells
will duplicate genes or entire chromosomes (polyploidy), lose genes or entire
chromosomes, and mix bits and pieces of different chromosomes together if need
be.

http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/v21/n45/pdf/1205566a.pdf

So profound is a cancer cell's ability to mutate at fast speed that it can form
structures known as ring chromosomes that recapitulate the ancestral bacterium's

circular telomere-independent chromosome.
http://atlasgeneticsoncology.org/Deep/RingChromosID20030.html

In short, cancer cells have all the tools of evolution at their disposal at
speeds normally associated single-celled organisms.

3. The next problem is that de Grey's strategy underestimates the importance
of the immune system in cancer prevention. This process is called
immunosurveillance and mice and people with defective immune systems are
notoriously prone to cancer.  The white blood cells that normally protect people

from cancer *need* telomerase to function properly because the mechanism by
which they operate depends on the mass replication of the white blood cell
lineages that can recognize and kill tumor cells.

Of course this mechanism of amplification of the efficacious clones is used to
combat mundane infections as well. So not only would telomerase-deficiency make
one prone to cancer, it would make one susceptible to death from normally benign

viral, bacterial, and fungal infections.

4. De Grey's solution to this problem is "reseeding" whereby engineered stem
cells are periodically given to people to replace high turnover tissues such as
the blood cells, skin, and gut epithelium. This work-around however brings
up the next problem: The relationship between cancer and stem cells is
poorly understood and these reseeded stem cells could very well *become*
 cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20688584
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19684619

And if the stem cells are treated to lack telomerase, like the rest of the cells

of the body in WILT, they no longer qualify as stem cells since the capacity for

self-renewal is one of the defining characteristics for stem cells. So these
telomerase deficient stem cells would be the medical equivalent of GM food crops

that can't make seeds, requiring one to be beholden to whatever biotech company
happens to be manufacturing your crippled stem cells for you. If we are talking
about

immune system stem cells, then catching a simple cold could deplete ones entire
resevoir of non-self-renewing hematopietic stem cells.

5. Aside from the theoretical problems with the WILT strategy, the technical
challenges would be horrendous. With the current state of the art, gene
knockouts are a messy and rather hit or miss affair. They involve trying the
targeted gene deletion on a great many embryos, then screening for that one
precious embryo or cell line in which it worked. While this is feasible with
mice, the bioethicists would have a canniption if you tried that with human
embryos. But what use is a gene knockout of an embryo going to be to an already
full grown population of possible cancer victims? While gene knockouts are done
routinely on human cells in a petri dish, I am not aware of any existing
technique that would allow one to delete a gene from all 10^14 cells of an adult

human in vivo:

http://www.biotechniques.com/BiotechniquesJournal/2006/September/Simple-one-week-method-to-construct-gene-targeting-vectors-application-to-production-of-human-knockout-cell-lines/biotechniques-40137.html?pageNum=3

So my final analysis is that de Grey's strategy is inelegant, convoluted, and
unlikely to work in a time and cost frame that would make it competitive with
other developing cancer treatments. Top-down management seldom works in
bottom-up organized systems. Such seems to be as true in biology as it is in
economics.