[ExI] The tyranny of context free grammars.

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 07:25:25 UTC 2010

Having known a few compiler writers, they seem to resoundingly come
down against LALR parsers for implementing CFGs.

Alternatives to CFGs maybe might be nice, but to what end?  The
advantage of the CFG is it's simplicity in both usage and development
(compiler side).  I'd be careful about pining for more languages like
perl, you have obviously never maintained significant systems written
in perl.  To be avoided if at all possible.

I'd also like to leave you with this gem by the (in)famous Dijkstra:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD06xx/EWD667.html

"On the foolishness of "natural language programming"."

-ryan