[ExI] PSI, PSI*, and Psi

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 9 18:27:35 UTC 2010

On 12/9/2010 7:17 AM, The Avantguardian wrote:

> I am still trying to wrap my head around this particular interpretation but it
> is noteworthy that the perception of advanced waves might be the
> elusive mechanism by which the paranormal phenomenon of Psi manifests itself.

It sounds as if the TI is new to you, Stuart. It seems to me that some
TI version is the only way to make sense of the empirical world as I
understand it (including presentiment, etc). But Cramer's approach has
been critiqued in, e.g., Michael Price's Many World's FAQ:

<http://www.hedweb.com/everett/everett.htm>

< 5) Transactional model [C]. Explicitly non-local. An imaginative
theory, based on the Feynman-Wheeler absorber-emitter model of EM, in
which advanced and retarded probability amplitudes combine into an
atemporal "transaction" to form the Born probability density. It
requires that the input and output states, as defined by an observer,
act as emitters and absorbers respectively, but not any internal states
(inside the "black box"), and, consequently, suffers from the familiar
measurement problem of the Copenhagen interpretation.

If the internal states did act as emitters/absorbers then the
wavefunction would collapse, for example, around one of the double slits
(an internal state) in the double slit experiment, destroying the
observed interference fringes. In transaction terminology a transaction
would form between the first single slit and one of the double slits and
another transaction would form between the same double slit and the
point on the screen where the photon lands. This never observed.>

Damien Broderick