[ExI] Have a Soylent Green Xmas!

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 10 03:52:55 UTC 2010

On 12/9/10, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I suppose that should have been a "Soylent Night" Xmas...
>
> Damien Broderick

Soylent Night, waaaaahahahahahahhaaaaaaa!  {8^D

There is a bit of context that is missing for many of you, who were not
regularly going to movies in 1973 and who missed the original Soylent Green.
I was in late elementary school then, it was rated R, but the ticket takers
were not police, so I was allowed in, while I was supposed to be viewing
Disney's latest vapid fare.

It is amazing to realize that was 38 years ago.  The notion of global
warming had been introduced, as had the competing theory of global cooling,
and both theories had approximately equal standing right then, with the
cooling scenario being far scarier if true.  Right around that time, food
companies were experimenting with soybean meat substitutes.  The early ones
tasted terrible.  But at least they were expensive and unhealthy.

In any case, in the 1973 Soylent Green movie, they made global warming and
Malthusian population explosions terrifying by depicting soy meat
substitutes as the only food available to the proletariat, other than the
proletariat of course, which was the main ingredient in...  Well, rent the
movie.  It's probably one of the best from that era.

Anyone else here see that back in the day?