[ExI] specific thrust

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Dec 11 09:53:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 01:19:57AM -0800, spike wrote:

> Chemical propellant carries all its energy in the propellant itself, but
> uses a hell of lot of it to go anywhere.  The equipment needed to do it is
> very small, light and simple: a tank, a pressurization mechanism such as a
> turbine, a combustion chamber, a nozzle and off ya go.  Solid propellant is
> even simpler still: just a pressure vessel and a nozzle.  But those have
> even lower specific thrust.  High peak thrust.  The highest peak thrust ever
> I think is with solids, but I would need to look that upwards.  Are the
> space shuttle solids higher peak thrust than a Saturn V first stage main
> engine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-ballistic_missile

Nike X was a US system of two missiles, radars and their associated
control systems. The original Nike Zeus (later called Spartan) was
upgraded for longer range and a much larger 5 megatonne warhead
intended to destroy warheads with a burst of x-rays outside the
atmosphere. A second shorter-range missile called Sprint with
very high acceleration was added to handle warheads that evaded
longer-ranged Spartan. Sprint was a very fast missile (some
sources claimed it accelerated to 8,000 mph (13 000 km/h) within
4 seconds of flight—an average acceleration of 100 g) and had a
smaller W66 enhanced radiation warhead in the 1-3 kiloton range
for in-atmosphere interceptions.