[ExI] Soy, brain aging, and false advertising (Re: Have a Soylent Green Xmas!)

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 15:03:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:01 PM, J. Stanton <js_exi at gnolls.org> wrote:
> Note that cattle can't digest soy or corn properly either (they're ruminants
> -- grass-eaters), which is why they need to be pumped full of antibiotics (a
> primary cause of the worldwide antibiotic resistance problem -- far more
> antibiotics are fed to cattle than to humans) in order to stay alive in
> feedlots.

How many cattle have you raised, J.? I've raised a dozen or so, so
far, and none of them had any trouble digesting feed with corn and
other grains without *any* antibiotics. I don't doubt that there's
antibiotic use and abuse at some large feedlots, but a lot of cattle
are produced by smaller operations that don't engage in the alleged
abuses and excesses of the larger, corporate operations.

> In fact, the entire term "vegetable oil" is false advertising, because it's
> not made from vegetables at all: it's an industrial product, extracted from
> seeds using industrial solvents (hexane).

J., you've got good arguments against vegetable oils, but claiming
that calling them that is false advertising isn't one of them. One of
the accepted definitions of "vegetable" as an adjective is "derived
from plants", and that's how it's used in "vegetable oil"--to
distinguish it from oils of animal or mineral origin.

-Dave