[ExI] [wta-talk] Halcyon Molecular interview

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 15:56:31 UTC 2010

On 9 December 2010 23:43, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:

> Halycon Molecular interview
> http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/12/interview-of-gene-sequencing-expert.html
>
> As for Kurzweil, maybe this isn’t fair, and I’d like to hear his thoughts
> on
> it, but I’m afraid his books demotivate people who would otherwise
> contribute to the cause, maybe by giving the impression to some that the
> Singularity is not only coming, but actually inevitable. Eat right,
> exercise, take these pills, and don’t worry- those smart hardworking
> scientists over there will solve everything for you.

Why; this is by no means an attitude limited to Kurzweil, and it is my main
critique to some brands of Singularitarianism (including those who add "as
long as you steer them and keep them under control" to the last line, which
is even worse after a fashion implying not just passivity but actual
mistrust with regard to an assumedly automagic "runaway progress")...

--
Stefano Vaj