[ExI] The Quantum Zeno effect

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Dec 14 20:41:37 UTC 2010

On 12/14/2010 12:38 PM, John Clark wrote:

>> the sort of thing Nobelist Eccles got all excited about, because he
>> thought that might be a place where a non-physical entity or soul
>> might couple to the machinery.
>
> I suppose so, but I don't understand why he got all excited, randomness
> is not what people usually mean by the soul; as for free will, people
> don't mean anything by it, it's just a noise made by the mouth.

I haven't read Popper&Eccles for a while so I don't recall the exact
argument, but I assume he thought that if a metastable state was somehow
so delicately poised that it could flip any allowable way, a shove by a
magical soul could tip it in the desired deterministic direction. In
other words, it would be a hidden variable. Doesn't make any sense to
me, either. But maybe Eccles-type souls live in the seventh rolled up
dimension and can do shit like that.

Damien Broderick