[ExI] Linguistic shifts

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Dec 21 22:17:06 UTC 2010

On 12/21/2010 3:37 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> Philosophese often
> sounds like slightly stilted English

Does it also sound like slightly stilted German or French? I developed
the strong impression that some of the more bizarre contortions of
English-language deconstruction arose from treasonous translations from
French especially, not to mention French-itself-translated-from-German.
I recall one hilarious episode of a seminar of pomo psychiatrists
tormenting a page of Lacan, trying to work out exactly what he was so
brilliantly saying about the multiple ghosts of light (or some such);
finally I mentioned that he might be talking about spectra, not
specters. (But since he was Lacan he probably meant both, and more, and
less...)

Damien Broderick