[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 24 13:30:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 10:26:11AM +0000, BillK wrote:

> I don't see how an entity that lives over 1000 years can be expected
> to behave like a 25 year old puppy, leaping around excitedly at every
> 'new' (to them) thing encountered.
>
> People don't stay the same as they age. And a 1000 year old definitely
> won't think the same as a 25 year old.

We're used to an anthropocentric view on how aging affects
people. If everything is inspectable and malleable, there
will be more and more deviations from that expected pattern
in human-derived and human-inspired constructs. De novo
constructs could be considerably alien even from the beginning,
though of course they'll be soaking the same bootstrap
context as us.