[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Sat Dec 25 23:32:25 UTC 2010

> A major puzzle in my own life has been why the cosmos are not buzzing
> with signals.  Why is it so quiet out there?  I estimate one in ten star
> systems has life forms, one in a thousand multicellular with perhaps one
> in a hundred thousand with tech-capable life forms.  That makes for a
> buuunch of tech life forms in this galaxy alone.

> If technologically advanced life forms typically upload and turn inward,
> it offers a good explanation for why it is so quiet out there.  They
> aren’t listening to us and don’t care to talk, for they are busy.

I find it doubtful that a civilization of computronium fetishists would
not have spare resources to build a radio or two, and some spare CPU
time to listen to it on occasion. -- or slow down their expansion enough
that it wouldn't show up on our radar...

No, what's probably happening is that we are seeing the existential risk
known as a shriek... That is a civilization that appears to be going
asymptotic but then runs into a brick wall and ends up dead. ie,
overflowing a 64 bit register somewhere and crashing the entire grid, or
using up fuel without regards to long-term needs.

Or, even more probable, having a continuous internal faggotry-race
(sorry, no other words to communicate my point) (akin to an arms race
only gay), within the VR simulations very quickly overwhelming the
resources of the underlying computronium at which point it simply melts
from logical contradictions. Ie, if you show up in the SecondLife sim
for this list in a male avatar, people will be minimally polite to you.
If you show up in a female av and people know you are cross-dressing,
they are super-friendly to you. I have not figured out exactly what that
means yet, I am not going to cross-play just for them. But then most of
them are anyway. In any event, it is far far easier to explain the
motivations of an uploader in terms of gay-ness than any other way.

No part of this message is intended to be read as a comment about any
homosexual, or the psychological condition in general, only the practice
of publicly pandering to arbitrary special interest groups and demanding
that other people pander to your arbitrary desires, also known as
faggotry. Where as the charge of faggotry is easily avoided by either
keeping it private or simply allowing other people to have (and
express!) different opinions about things.

--
DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.
DO NOT BUY OBAMACARE.