[ExI] moral issues

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 02:13:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 5:17 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Jeff Davis  wrote:
> <snip>
>> Anyway, you're the one person on the list, now that Eliezer, Bradbury,
>> and others have moved on, that I consider smarter than me, so make
>> your case.
>>

> That's done it!   Now you've upset everyone on the list except Eugen.   ;)

Oh my!  Did I forget the smiley?  Wink, wink.

Also, take note of the phrasing, I left room for everyone else to
imagine that they might be just as smart as I am.  Work it.

> Personally, what I find is that people are smart at different things.

Agreed.

> And some smart people are really dumb when they venture outside their field of expertise.

"Yes", he said, agreeing and feigning modesty, but poorly.

> If you are not an expert yourself it sometimes takes a while to learn
> when somebody really knows their subject or when they are just
> bullshitting (to use a phrase I heard somewhere).

Ahhhh, yes indeed!  I envy those who learn that skill early in life.
Best, Jeff Davis

 "We are every one an "idiot and moron"
     compared to what we seek to  become."
                     Samantha Atkins