[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Dec 26 11:29:56 UTC 2010

On Dec 25, 2010, at 11:49 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> spike wrote:
>>> ... On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty

>>> Are there any people you don't offend with your biased (bigoted) word
>> choice?
>>> You continue to amaze; nice job.
>

>> Alan, I agree with Mike, your word choice makes me squirm.  I have
>> confidence you could reword this in a less offensive way, please.
>

> I'm shocked by how mature that response was.
>
> I really wasn't thinking when I sent that previous message. I had
> intended to recover by rim-shotting off the excessively angry responses
> I had expected, but it looks like I'm being presented with a different
> opportunity.
>
> I've been in a funk not just from all the candy I've been gorging on but
> also but also from learning that my 3 year younger sister is coming on
> her 5th wedding anniversary and I've never even been on a date.
> Furthermore, my only prospects have been offered by homosexual men! =\
>
> But anyway, to answer your question, here is my reasoning.
>
> As exciting as transhumanism is, we find that a vanishingly tiny number
> of people seem capable of becoming interested in transhumanism.
> Whittling that number down further, we find a phenomenon that I call the
> "two weekers". A two-weeker is a person who learns about transhumanism
> while going through a manic period in their lives. As the mania subsides
> (as it always does), they disappear never to be heard from again. But
> there are active transhumanists who have been in the community for many
> years.
>
> Because humans tend to be couch patatoes, these long-term transhumanists
> must have achieved an emotional state that allows them to maintain a
> strong interest in transhumanism over many years. So, drawing from the
> brain's emotional circuitry, we must find a motivational circuit that
> produces strong, specific motivations over many years and in spite of
> other changes in the person's life. That shortens the list of possible
> neural circuits down to no more than a handful, probably only one.
>
> This is, of course, nothing more than a supposition. If you look at who
> shows up to the Saturday meetings in Extropia Core, there you find all
> the usually suspects, ranging from gender dysphoria disorder, to grown
> up abused chlidren. All the regulars can be found in DSM IV.

Either this creature goes or I do.  I run this meeting and have run it for nearly a year.  I have worked hard to gather and present where we are and how we might move closer to our dreams in next decade or two.  I have not sugar coated the challenges of where the world is.  I have steered clear of both doom and gloom and complete optimistic faith.  If you don't appreciated it, Alan / Alonzo, then go do whatever you find more important.  Not once have you offered to contribute in any way to make this group or anything else one whit better.    Instead you show up and mostly make irrelevant and offensive remarks, bounce about like an idiot, tell us how irrelevant and pathetic all things virtual are and grow enormous boobs to supposedly show us just how pointless it all is.   Sometimes you seem to have a halfway functional intelligence so I had hoped you would eventually calm down and find yourself a bit.   It appears I was much too generous and should have swatted you like the insect you have proven yourself to be long ago.

As for gender dysphoria it is a well known fact that I was born dysphoric and fixed that two decades ago.  I thought you learned your lesson about slinging crap about such things you obviously know nothing about when you did it a couple of years ago on the OCE list.  But no, you have not.    You are not welcome at my meetings or on any of my land again, ever.

> I am not casting stones here, only trying to extrapolate predictions
> based on the future evolution of the minds around me.

You have just insulted people that have been incredibly patient with you, some of them because I asked them to give you space to grow up a bit.    I am sorry that I did so.  Lesson learned.

- samantha