[ExI] cure for global warming

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Dec 27 17:39:36 UTC 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 2:43 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 02:49:28PM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>
>> True, when we have cheap efficient enough thin film solar.  However,
>> we have no reason to expect this to occur within this next crucial decade.
>
> Yes, we had 30-40 years, and we've blown these. Now there's no
> way to bridge the demand gap.

Not so.  Build Thorium molten salt reactors as fast as you can crank them out.  Streamline the process where you can.  This gives electricity cheaper than anything we can produce today.  We have thousands of years of thorium. It produces extremely little radioactive waste.  And it is nearly impossible to weaponize the tech (which is why it was shelved in the 60s).  There is time.  Just.

>> So on to the next solution for now.
>
> There is no single solution. Particularly when it comes
> to renewable synfuels and chemical feedstock, we're up
> fecal creek sans paddle.

Nope.  This one we can solve effectively.  The huge economic mess on the other hand, I have no idea how to fix and am pretty sure it is now beyond hope of avoiding a full meltdown.

- s