[ExI] Meat v. Machine

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 06:02:53 UTC 2010

>1) Somebody has to be the first intelligent technological civilization in
the visible universe, perhaps it is us.<

This is the possibility that seems most likely to me, simply because Avant's
point is so well-taken. Then again, perhaps there is some secondary
malthusian-type mechanism in the evolutionary process that prevents that
next leap. But that would seem to beg the question of why: it smacks of
intelligent design, and that bothers me. This is why I always fall back on
John's first possibility. It seems crazy to think you may be at the top of
the class, but so far, no-one is producing any superior report card.

d.

2010/12/29 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>

> On Dec 28, 2010, at 11:50 PM, The Avantguardian wrote:
>
> If machine-phase life is so inevitable and so superior, where are the Von
> Neumann probes?
>

> Two possible answers:
>
> 1) Somebody has to be the first intelligent technological civilization in
> the visible universe, perhaps it is us.
>
> 2) Some road block prevents intelligence from engineering the cosmos, my
> best guess of what that impediment is would be electronic drug addiction.
>
> There may be other answers to your very important question but those are
> the only ones I can think of  that make any sense to me.
>
>  John K Clark

*"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The
'hard' is what makes it great."*
*
*
*--A League of Their Own