[ExI] Meat v. Machine

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 18:36:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Eugen Leitl  wrote:
<snip>
> Not that we're representative, or anything, but most people don't
> deliberately destroy stuff, even though they do wind up with it.
> I chalk it up to our immaturity, since we definitely can't continue
> that way, even if we would and could do it.

*most* people doesn't cut it. It's all or nothing.

Once very powerful tech becomes readily available, then the few (?)
bad guys want and use it as well. It's a poor gamble that prophylactic
measures get sufficiently powerful quickly enough.
(Especially as so many humans are stupid enough to click on 'anything').

This is similar to your galaxy sweep argument. That is also all or nothing.
We see nothing out there. Therefore all stay home. If there was
anything out there, then it would be all over the galaxy by now. We're
young in galaxy terms.

BillK