[ExI] Meat v. Machine

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Dec 30 22:26:31 UTC 2010

On Dec 30, 2010, at 3:49 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 02:31:03PM -0400, Darren Greer wrote:
>>> Which is why we cannot compute the probability for the emergence
>> of life as long as we don't have access to causally unentangled
>> data points<
>>
>> Of course that makes sense. And of course we can't know. But whenever I
>> truly think about or hear being listed potential outcomes in
>> singularity-type discussions, like cosmic engineering and interstellar
>> travel and immortality and other large-scale events that would make any
>> sapient being sit up and take notice that something really seems to be
>> happening in that section of the galaxy, I start to consider John's first
>
> Any darwinian system would be expansive. Any darwinian system with
> started with interstellar travel capability will select for fastest
> expansion over kiloyears, kilolightyears, megayears and megalightyears
> of cosmic substrate.

Why should a civilization that can redesign most any aspect of itself and its surroundings remain darwinian?   Such a civ may have things to do that it considers more interesting than endlessly expanding in space.     It is not terribly likely that another species in full expansionist mode would have better enough technology to be a serious threat.

- samantha