[ExI] Meat v. Machine

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 31 03:51:04 UTC 2010

... On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
Subject: Re: [ExI] Meat v. Machine

On 12/30/2010 7:02 PM, spike wrote:

>> Point taken, but it is about 4 yrs to the next star at c, 4 million with
good chemical rocket tech.

>Oy, wake up there in the back! Since these hypersmart things will be
running a million times faster than us, subjectively a 4 year trip to Rigil
Kent will take 4 million human-rate years....

Oy, fully awake now thanks!  {8^D

 >Oh, all right, less than that near c because of dilatation. But who can
afford to travel near c?...

Not I.  If we get the whole uploading thing going, so many of these kinds of
problems may become irrelevant.  We perhaps could downscale the clock speed
so it is working only one trillionth the speed it is capable of running, so
the 4 million year trip would go by in an acceptable perceived 4 years?  Or
go down to a quadrillionth the top speed, so the 4 million year trip would
feel like a trip from Australia to Texas on one of our Booeings?

> And who is prepared to take the risk of brain ablation, even with multiple
redundancy?  Damien Broderick

Ja, I have more calculation to do on that.