[ExI] Meat v. Machine

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 31 17:57:34 UTC 2010

On Dec 31, 2010, at 3:00 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:04:54PM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>
>> Well now we don't have the heavy lifters we had before.
>
> We're only trying to deliver a number of small parcels.   Each smaller
than the one before.

>Not if you want to do any space or lunar processing and manufacturing or
house any human crews at all.- samantha

Ja, the two schools of thought are talking past each other.  The presence of
meat-form humans creates a long list of bottlenecks which will remain as
persistent as herpes.  Humans in space are too preoccupied with mundane
tasks such as trying to stay alive and get back home.  Real space progress
is in assuming away the chimps and going towards making the machines
smarter, smaller, lighter, more durable and more capable.