[ExI] The digital nature of brains

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 12:16:45 UTC 2010

On 4 February 2010 10:35, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> For this reason, I'd say that anything which can convincingly pass the
Turing test should be regarded as conscious.

In fact, I suspect that anything that can convincingly pass the Turing test
is simply conscious *by definition*, because it is the test that we
routinely apply to check whether the system we are in touch with is
conscious or not (say, when trying to decide whether some human being is
asleep or dead).

The simple question is: should something, in addition to being able to
perform as well as the average adult, alert human being in a Turing test,
have blue eyes, flesh limbs, a hairy head or a liver to qualify as
"conscious"? If we try to analyse any "intuition" we may have in this sense,
any such intuition evaporates quickly enough

--
Stefano Vaj