[ExI] multiple realizability

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 13:13:12 UTC 2010

I suspect that it's ignorance of the importance of levels of abstraction that can lead to ideas like "minds can come from neural networks, but not from digital programs".  All you need to see is that a digital program can implement a neural network at a higher level of abstraction to demolish this idea.

That's an over-simplification of course, because the digital program/s would more likely implement a set of software objects that interact to implement individual neural nets that interact to implement sets of information processing mechanisms that interact to create a mind.  That's 5 levels of abstraction in my probably over-simplistic concept of the process.  There may well be several more in a realistic implementation.

Ben Zaiboc