[ExI] IEET piece re "Problems of Transhumanism"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Feb 8 17:58:44 UTC 2010

On 2/8/2010 11:35 AM, Damien Broderick wrote:

>Natasha Vita-More :
>> So what?

> Eh?

To expand on that: Isn't what I quoted to the point of Hughes' essay,
which starts:

<Transhumanists, like Enlightenment partisans in general, believe that
human nature can be improved but are conflicted about whether liberal
democracy is the best path to betterment. The liberal tradition within
the Enlightenment has argued that individuals are best at finding their
own interests and should be left to improve themselves in
self-determined ways.>

BUT, he goes on below,

<The 2005 and 2007 surveys of the members of the World Transhumanist
Association (WTA, 2005; WTA, 2007) asked, “Although we may devise better
political systems in the future, do you believe that multi-party
democracies with civil liberties for individuals are the best of the
existing political orders?” A third of the respondents were unwilling to
affirm the superiority of liberal democracy among existing political
systems. Transhumanist Max More, for instance, looks toward a
post-democratic minarchy>

and follows with the quote from Max I've now cited twice, which you
don't think is relevant (I suppose). Is it really irrelevant? Perhaps
so. Here it is again:

<Democratic arrangements have no intrinsic value; they have value only to
the extent that they enable us to achieve shared goals while protecting our
freedom. Surely, as we strive to transcend the biological limitations of
human nature, we can also improve upon monkey politics? >

I certainly don't think that Max's comment on "monkey politics" is a
disparagement of *democracy* but rather of tribal power plays,
hierarchies of force and authority, etc. And his views are certainly
inconsistent with Hughes' glib opening comment about a supposed >H
"tendency to disparage liberal democracy in favor of the rule by dei ex
machina and technocratic elites." But it doesn't sound like a ringing
endorsement of the position that "liberal democracy is the best path to
betterment," which is where Hughes started.

Damien Broderick