[ExI] Semiotics and Computability

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 14:06:43 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 2/11/10, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would you say that a robot that seems to walk isn't really
> walking because it is not identical to, and therefore lacks all of
> the properties of, a human walking?

My point here concerns digital simulations of brains, not robots.

> The argument is that the computer can reproduce the consciousness of the
> brain if it is able to reproduces the brain's behaviour.

Characters in video games behave as if they have consciousness. Seems to me that digitally simulated brains will also behave as if they have consciousness, but that they will have no more consciousness than do those characters in video games.

I don't play video games myself but I've known children who did. They often spoke of the characters in their video games as if those characters really existed as consciousness entities. Then they matured.

-gts