[ExI] evolution of consciousness

Spencer Campbell lacertilian at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 00:53:17 UTC 2010

Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>:
>Spencer Campbell <lacertilian at gmail.com>:
>>... if [consciousness is] favored by evolution then we must necessarily be able to [measure it].
>
> The idea is that it *isn't* favoured by evolution: it is a necessary
> side-effect of intelligence, as walking is a necessary side-effect of
> putting one foot in front of the other in a coordinated fashion.

If that's the case, I once again run straight into the realm of
panpsychism due to the fact it is impossible to create an absolutely
unintelligent system.

Even rocks are good at staying on the ground.

So I'm inclined to believe you.

Yeah. There's not a lot I can contribute to this thread. I have no
evidence before me indicating that human-level consciousness is an
evolutionary inevitability, by any measure, so I don't have a lot to
go on.