[ExI] evolution of consciousness

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 01:26:44 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 2/11/10, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> But you have clearly stated that consciousness plays no
> role in behaviour...

I can hardly believe you wrote that. I spent hours explaining to you why and how I reject epiphenomenalism.

>... since you agree that the brain's behaviour can be emulated
> by a computer and the computer will be unconscious.

I argued that we can program an artificial brain to act as if it has consciousness and that said artificial brain will still lack consciousness. This is not the same as arguing that consciousness plays no role in human behavior!

By the way what exactly do you mean by "behavior of brains", anyway?

When I refer to the brain's behavior I usually mean observable behavior of the organism it controls, behavior such as acts of speech.

-gts