[ExI] better self-transcendence through selective brain damage

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 00:26:31 UTC 2010

On 13 February 2010 08:40, Eric Messick <eric at m056832107.syzygy.com> wrote:
> Spike writes:
>>For instance, imagine giving your sweetheart a Valentine that says:
>>
>>Sweetheart, the depth of my love for you is equal to that which is induced
>>by several milligrams of endorphine-precursor pheromones which are
>>responsible for this class of emotions in humans.  I mean it from the bottom
>>of my brain.
>
> Once again, xkcd has this covered, with a comic about overly
> scientific valentines:
>
> http://xkcd.com/701/
>
> -eric

I was listening to a physicist being interviewed on This American Life
recently. He was talking about how he and his girlfriend, in the very
early stages of their relationship, were talking about how great it
was that they were in love and that they had found each other. IIRC,
she asked him if he thought she was the only woman for him, and he
considered it and said "I think you're 1 in 100,000". Apparently this
started their first fight. Hell of a time for the rational machinery
to kick in :-)

--
Emlyn

http://www.songsofmiseryanddespair.com - My show, Fringe 2010