[ExI] Valentine's probability factor

Olga Bourlin olga.bourlin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 01:11:06 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 2/14/2010 6:26 PM, Emlyn wrote:
>
>> she asked him if he thought she was the only woman for him, and he
>> considered it and said "I think you're 1 in 100,000". Apparently this
>> started their first fight. Hell of a time for the rational machinery
>> to kick in :-)
>
> Nah, it's a perfect test of compatibility with others (the 1 in 100K or
> fewer of them) of like mind. Barbara and I were boggled at the apparent
> unlikelihood of our having found each other (and we talked about this right
> from the start)--which would have been wildly unlikely before the internet,
> ExI, affordable international travel, etc. Suddenly we had the whole English
> speaking population of the planet to trawl through--rather than the
> workplace, university, church, club, etc--presorted by handy detectors for
> IQ, personality type, unusual interests, etc.
>
> Damien Broderick

Me, three! (... even though Patrick and I met just a few years before
the Internet swept into our homes)

I was born in Nanking, China - my husband was born in Roscrea,
Ireland.  We met in Kansas City (attending a Free Inquiry magazine
convention in 1991), and now reside in the emerald city of Seattle.  I
am neither young nor impressionable, but find myself amazed anew each
day at the improbable event of Patrick and me having found each other.

Olga