[ExI] Newbie Question: Consciousness and Intelligence

Spencer Campbell lacertilian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 20:04:18 UTC 2010

Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com>:
> Consciousness, as I mean it today, entails the ability to have conscious intentional states.

I'll note for the record that I now have the concept of
"consciousness" clear enough in my mind to state, confidently, that
consciousness, intelligence, and intentionality are all completely
different things.

Artificial systems could be made to possess any one in absence of the other two.

However, I am by now convinced that it is not even theoretically
possible to scientifically confirm that a given system has
consciousness. This leads to the inevitable conclusion that
consciousness does not exist, by my definition: anything which exists
can potentially influence everything else that exists. All things in
existence can, *by definition*,  be measured.

So, I create new conscious systems all the time. Pretty much every
time I make use of a toilet. I defy any of you to prove otherwise.

I've even started a separate thread for it!