[ExI] Phil Jones acknowledging that climate science isn'tsettled

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Feb 17 20:36:29 UTC 2010

On 2/17/2010 2:07 PM, natasha at natasha.cc wrote:

> You agree with the irrational of Alfio that Max is easly manipulated by
> PR spins?

Alfio was making a general and quite rational point about some posters
to the list, I think, and in this case it does look as if Max jumped the
gun in citing spin stories rather than the original interview. Calling
Alfio "irrational" doesn't get us very far in advancing the discussion.

Christopher commented: "I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to disagree
with their positions, though, without also presuming that the people you
disagree with are wicked?" Ditto "irrational." HOWEVER... that doesn't
mean some players in the supposed debate *aren't* wicked--consider, by
analogy,. the decades-long and perhaps equivalent role of corporate
advocates for carcinogenic smoking. If that was not wickedness, what is?
It is arguable that climate change deniers are in a similar position.

That said, I agree with Barbara Lamar, who comments:

<Since I agree with James Lovelock that there is no way we can prevent
major climate change at this point, I find it highly irresponsible to
pass laws and force people to take actions they would not otherwise take
based on the false assumption that humans can somehow make things go
back "to normal."

I would far rather see money spent on developing plants that are not
sensitive to heat & cold (interestingly, when plants are bred for cold
tolerance, they often have heat tolerance as well, as "side effect."),
on efficient energy production (so we can create affordable
microclimates and deal with rising sea levels, if we have to), etc. In
other words - figure out how to DEAL with the problem, not STOP it.>

Damien Broderick