[ExI] Phil Jones acknowledging that climate science isn'tsettled

Christopher Luebcke cluebcke at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 23:30:20 UTC 2010

> we do not
> yet have nearly enough evidence to support either view.

I think you may be in the minority view there; a lot of people seem to think that there's quite enough evidence.

> Truly> conclusive proof would require, at the very least, an alternate Earth
> (real or simulated) in which no species ever evolved to the point

> where it became a good idea to just start burning everything.

This is in fact what climate modelers attempt to do, with imperfect but increasing accuracy (the accuracy of models being measured by "backcasting"--starting at a point some time in the past, running the model, and seeing if the predicted results match observations). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_climate_model#Accuracy_of_models_that_predict_global_warming for some examples of how this problem is addressed. No models are perfect and climate is notoriously difficult to model, but that doesn't mean we know nothing, and it doesn't mean we can't improve our knowledge.

I will also second the proposition that the best use of our resources, outside of research dollars to improve our understanding and forecasting abilities, is to start planning adaptation now. Given where I live, this involves adding flippers to my earthquake preparedness kit :P