[ExI] Semiotics and Computability

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 23:16:48 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 2/17/10, Christopher Luebcke <cluebcke at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Could one detect or measure consciousness on the basis of "behaviors and
> reports of subjective experiences" alone, without direct anatomical
> knowledge of a "brain and nervous system"?

No, I don't think so. Under those circumstances we could only speculate.

> Conversely, does a system with a "brain and nervous system"
> necessarily have consciousness, even in the absence of
> "behaviors and reports of subjective experience"?

If you have a brain and a nervous system but exhibit no associated behaviors then it seems to me that you have some serious neurologoical issues.

What about you, Chris? Do you have a physical brain capable of having conscious thoughts?

-gts