[ExI] Semiotics and Computability

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 13:46:58 UTC 2010

> I understand the man in the room is a metaphor for rules-processing by
> rote, but what if we take the literal approach that he IS a man - even a
> supremely gifted intellectual who is informed that eventually these
> symbols will reveal the means by which he can escape?

Lots of unread messages on my end and I'm in a rush this morning and I don't know who wrote the above (Mike?) but I wanted to take a moment to encourage this approach above. The CRA tells us as much about the philosophy of mind as it does about computers.

The man cannot understand the symbols - no way, no how, not in a million years - and when you realize this you'll learn something important about yourself.

-gts