[ExI] How not to make a thought experiment

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 19 18:39:59 UTC 2010

On Feb 18, 2010, Christopher Luebcke wrote:

> Certainty that the human's report is accurate does not provide the basis for certainty that the robot's report is not.

I am certain that when other humans tell me they are conscious they are telling the truth, I'm probably correct too.

> This is crucial to the point--while it may be said that a functioning organic brain and nervous system is sufficient for consciousness, it has not at all been shown that it is necessary.

A functioning organic brain and nervous system is sufficient for intelligence, but if Swobe is correct there is absolutely no reason to think the brain has anything to do with consciousness. The Egyptians carefully preserved every part of the body EXCEPT for the brain, maybe they were right.

 John K Clark