[ExI] Is the brain a digital computer?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 18:55:32 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> To see this, go find your magnifying glass and take closer look at that apple on your monitor. Compare it to what you see when you hold the glass to an actual apple. That's not an apple on your screen after all, now is it?

So what?  the "actual apple" to which you refer is nothing like the
platonic apple to which I compare it either.

You're right, a picture of an apple is not an apple.  If you let this
kind of problem stop you from acting in the world, you wouldn't be
able to live.  An "Exit" sign is not an exit.  A menu with pictures of
food is not food.  A city map is not a city.

How can you honestly make comments like this and not realize how...
fruitless(!) the discussion becomes?