[ExI] Is the brain a digital computer?

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 14:29:02 UTC 2010

> What is it about consciousness that makes it unique among all the
> qualities in the universe?

I consider consciousness unique only in so much as we can know about it only from the first-person perspective. Aside from that, it differs in no important way from any other material biological process.

The reason for all the befuddlement about consciousness through the ages comes down to this simple brute fact that consciousness has a subjective first-person ontology vs. everything else in the world that has a third-person objective ontology. This difference confuses people; the mind wants to find significance in the difference. It wants to make something out of it.

Unfortunate that so many philosophers and theologians tried to make something out of it. They only made a huge mess of it.

Then about 100 years ago came the birth of analytic philosophy and with it a new respect for sanity and common sense.

-gts