[ExI] Is the brain a digital computer?

Christopher Luebcke cluebcke at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 01:02:08 UTC 2010

I think the difficulty that you're having here is that you're talking about a thought like it's a thing--even an intangible thing.

In the way you're using the word, you'd be better off saying "concept". The state of being in possession of a concept is not the same as the state of thinking, or being conscious.

I stand by my earlier contention that this conversation is doomed to 9 more levels of circular hell unless the main participants can agree on a definition of "conscious", "thinking".

Gordon: Try reframing your position by thinking about artificial hearts, rather than simulated hearts. Really. Please. You're missing something important. Artificial hearts pump real blood. Some day artificial stomaches will digest real food, I'm sure. These are activities that the devices can engage in, not physical properties of the things themselves.