[ExI] Is the brain a digital computer?

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 25 13:39:46 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 2/24/10, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you please clarify that your definition of weak AI is
> that it behaves exactly like strong AI according to the strong AI's
> with which it interacts?

I define weak AI as capable of passing the Turing test but having no subjective mental states. Strong AI also passes the TT, of course, and has subjective states.

And yes weak AI would fool strong AI in the TT, just it fools humans with "strong I".

> Can you at least see why it looks like you are contradicting yourself?

You contradicted yourself when you wrote as you did yesterday of "functionally identical but unconscious" brain components. This is why I wrote that making such a thing would be like trying to draw a square triangle. You took my comment wrongly to mean that I deny the possibility of weak AI.

You claim to deny the possibility of weak AI, or claim that weak AI = strong AI. That seems to me incoherent.

-gts